Why do the smartest and the most confident candidates do not get the job offer? Let me proffer a simplistic answer, coming from a HR professional’s perspective: Because job interviewing is a very subjective exercise.
Therefore, do not take it personal if you were not given the preference and the other person (whom you think you are more qualified with) gets the job.You may probably reason:
- I have better credentials.
- I have better work experiences.
- I have better referrals.
- I have better education (or grades).
- I have better looks. (lol)
So, why not me? Again, because the interviewing process is very subjective yet its result is usually the basis for hiring.
Play the interviewer’s game. Here are Smart Job Interview Tips you might want to consider.
While most organization has a set of questionnaires that they typically asked a candidate, they are in fact assessing the suitability of the candidate on the following hierarchy and weight*:
- Representation (+/- 50%). Some call this personal branding or packaging. This is how you project and sell yourself. Remember the axiom: First impression lasts.
- Responsiveness (+/- 30%). How you satisfied their questions.
- Relevant Experience (+/- 10%).
- Relevant Education or Degree (+/- 10%). This includes special training courses you have taken.
So, before you come for a job interview take an inventory of the above, formulate your game plan, play it, and get hired!